My Watermill project has become a bit of self-indulgence – and why not? The original idea was to disguise the point where the water from the pond pump discharges at the top of the stream (the water feature I’ve been building this year). Creating a water-wheel that would be driven by part of the stream flow would mean that I didn’t have to by concerned about batteries or electrics to make the wheel turn; when the stream is running the water-wheel turns. But the location for this is in a sunken area and partially hidden by the Tramway embankment and bridge, so is not really obvious to the casual glance. I’ve made the roof line of the building higher than the original kit (Pendle Valley) so that at least there is something to be seen more easily! The wheel chamber is made from sections of concrete stone replica castings and had to be set within the stream bed to enable the water flow to be fairly constant. The pond liner needed to go behind it to avoid any escape of water from the system. The removable mill building has been designed to sit outside the pond liner, butting up to the rear of the solid section. It has now been fitted with a projecting roof which extends across the join. There’s more aligning, filling, trimming and painting to be done, but the project is progressing and is providing me with a continuing opportunity for distraction during these strange times.
My wife has christened it “Y Felin Fach”.